In this rainbow bandana face mask DIY article, we will tell you exactly how to sew (+ no-sew) a non-medical face mask.
A rainbow face mask is perfect for a safe Pride, is lots of fun, it’s the perfect way to show your part of the LGBTQ+ community, and allies can show their solidarity in public with these masks.
From 1 bandana you can make 2 face masks!
Practical Information About This Non-Medical Face Mask
When worn properly, a person wearing a non-medical mask or face covering can reduce the spread of his or her own infectious respiratory droplets.
Non-medical face masks are not standardized and are not intended for use in healthcare settings or by healthcare professionals.
Wearing a mask alone will not prevent the spread. You must consistently and strictly adhere to good hygiene and public health measures, including frequent handwashing and physical distancing.
For extra protection you can place a filter in the mask; a kitchen paper, vacuum cleaner bag, HEPA filter, or other non-woven material will work. A filter lasts 2-3 hours.
How To Clean A Face Mask?
- Wash on 140°F / 60°C (in a wash bag), or
- Wash on 86°F / 30°C + iron it, or
- Keep it in a ziploc bag for about 3 days. NOTE: Freezing doesn’t help! The virus thrives in low temperatures.
What Do You Need to Make a Face Mask?
- 1 rainbow bandana (100% cotton, 22×22 inch / 55×55 cm)
- 2x elastic cord of 10 inch / 25 cm (or ribbons)
- Sewing kit (with needle & thread/machine, pins, scissors, and two safety pins)
- Face mask pattern (download our US Letter pattern or A4 pattern)
Looking for more Pride? Check out our rainbow recipes on our food blog!
How to Sew a Face Mask
Time needed: 45 minutes
This is a step-by-step instruction of how to sew a face mask. Depending on your level of expertise, it might take you longer or shorter than 45 minutes.
- Print the patterns
Wash your bandana before use on 140 °F / 60 °C in a wash bag and iron so there are no wrinkles. 1 bandana will make 2 face masks.
- Pin the pattern on the fabric
Double-fold the fabric (align rainbow stripes) and pin the pattern on the fabric (make sure to keep about ¼ inch / ½ cm on sides A, C & D for the seams and a little extra on side B for the double-seam), and cut out. Repeat this step for the lining/filter pocket. You will now have 4 parts.
- Sew the round seam
Sew the round seam (A) of the fabric, with the right sides facing. Repeat for the round seam of the lining fabric. Now you have a front and a lining/filter pocket.
- Stitch a double seam
Stitch a double seam in the ends (B) of the filter pocket (fold three times ¼ inch / ½ cm and sew).
- Sew together
Sew the front and liner together, with the right sides facing. Sew the bottom first, then the top. Turn the face mask inside out and iron.
- Make a tunnel seam
Make a tunnel seam on sides B of the front layer.
- Pull the elastic cord through the tunnel
Pull the elastic cord through the tunnel (use a safety pin to help). Customize the mask by fitting it and customizing the elastic cord. Determine whether you want the elastic cords around the ears or along the back of the head.
- Insert a filter
Insert your preferred filter in the filter pocket. A kitchen paper, vacuum cleaner bag, HEPA filter, or other non-woven material will work. Replace this filter after use (up to 2-3 hours) and wash the mask at, at least 140 °F / 60 °C (in a wash bag).
How To Sew A Face Mask Video Instructions
No-Sew Bandana Face Mask
- Fold the top and bottom from the bandana inward to meet in the middle.
- Turn the folded bandana and repeat on the other side (fold the top and bottom inward to meet in the middle).
- Turn the folded bandana again and slip a (hair) tie over each of the ends. Slide the (hair) ties to 1/3 and 2/3 of the folded bandana. Fold the ends of the bandana in to meet in the middle. You want the ends to overlap slightly, so you can tuck one end into the other. That’s it!
No-Sew Face Mask Video Instructions
MORE TO READ:
- Best LGBT Netflix shows to watch
- Lesbian scenes to feed your fantasies
- Lesbian comedians to make you belly laugh
- Best lesbian movies you have to see
PIN THIS FACE MASK DIY